Social Media Marketing: Using Web 2.0 to Drive Traffic to Your Blog Part 2 – Social Bookmarking
Following up Part 1 of this series on Social Media Marketing is Social Bookmarking. From Wikipedia, “Social bookmarking is a method for Internet users to share, organize, search, and manage bookmarks of web resources. Unlike file sharing, the resources themselves aren’t shared, merely bookmarks that reference them.”
As a tool for web developers, social bookmarking allows your website to listed by topic along with thousands of other sites on popular pages visited by hundreds of thousands of users. With proper techniques, you can increase your pageviews by the thousands, and maybe even be featured on the front page of the website. Listed below are the most popular social bookmarking sites.
1. Twitter – Twitter is so popular that it was featured as a separate blog post on this site.
2. Digg.com – This technology-based social bookmarking site has over 30 million monthly visitors.
3. Yahoo! Buzz – Similar to Digg, Yahoo! Buzz ranks content based on votes. The more votes you obtain, the higher your ranking, and the higher your traffic. While they both rank content on votes, Digg also bases ranking on the rate of the submitter and their quantity of friends on the site. Yahoo! Buzz bases ranking on search-term popularity and what the current trend in reading is.
4. TweetMeme – TweetMeme takes all of the popular links from Twitter and determines which ones are the most popular. It also counts the number of times a link is retweeted.
5. StumbleUpon – Stumbleupon combines a social bookmarking site with a toolbar for your browser to quickly rank sites and find new websites.
This website contains the top 20 most popular social bookmarking sites listed by monthly visitors.
After choosing which sites you would like to submit to, the next step is to create accounts on those sites. After signing in, simply submit a new site. Here are some tips in creating a quality review of your site.
Many websites and blogs go unnoticed on these types of sites simply because their headline is not catchy enough. Your headline is usually the only thing users will see from your website, so your efforts in providing a good headline will effect your page views.
While the headline is important to draw attention, if you want to keep that attention you must write a meaningful description. Be sure to keep it short, as most bookmarking sites limit your description’s length. Make sure that you submit your site to the proper category. Social Bookmarking sites usually include a General or Miscellaneous category, and since these fill very fast, your chance to get noticed quickly decreases.
It is best when other people bookmark your site to social bookmarking sites, so make it easier for them by including a bookmarking button at the end of your articles. Here is a link to add social bookmarking links to your articles.
Although submitting your links to social bookmarking sites is the most important step, an often overlooked one is to maintain your profile on those sites. Become an active user on the sites and submit other interesting articles and websites. Respond to comments left by other bookmarkers. One final tip is to focus on getting your ranking up on one social bookmarking site after submitting it to a few of them. If a post is popular on one of the major sites it usually becomes more popular on the others, so it’s best to stay focused on one at a time.
Using these steps, you will create valuable backlinks to your website and increase your overall SEO.
My website SEO had been in bad shape for a while, so I employed SEO 911 to turn things around, and they were great and making my business relevant on Google again – including some great edits to the website to increase customer conversions. It was great to work with honest marketing company
- MAtthew Davitoto, Marketing manager
As a small business with a specific target market, SEO 911 provided invaluable assistance in both setting up our website and increasing awareness of it. In short time, our website rocketed up the google rankings leaving many more established and larger programs trailing well behind. With roughly 75% of our ticket sales now completed directly through our website, SEO Maverick has succeeded in making our business more visible AND more profitable.
- Rob Flint
I am very happy with the service I received from SEO 911. Brett was able to understand exactly what I needed to do with my website to get it higher up on the search engines and the work was done fast and without any fuss. The service was excellent and communication friendly. Any technical issues I had were solved quickly. A good service all round at a reasonable price.
- Director, Digital Marketing